Summer Internship Available at Wilson Public Library!
Are you interested in an internship at the WILSON PUBLIC LIBRARY this summer? Wilson Public Library is seeking a part time intern for the 2017 summer. This internship will be granted through an application/interview process to students (high school, college, or graduate school) interested in learning more about librarianship. Applicants must be, at a minimum, a high school student. Applications will be accepted March 27-April 10.
To apply please fill pick up an application at the front desk of the WILSON PUBLIC LIBRARY. Interviews will be scheduled after April 10.
PROGRAM DATES: May 22 through July 28, 2017 -- as scheduled with intern
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: 8 weeks or 20 hours/week until compensation is met at minimum wage
COMPENSATION: $1000.00 ($9 per hour)This internship is available as a stipend. The intern will not be an employee of the City of Cozad. Payment (made payable to the Student Intern) will be made twice, at the midpoint of the internship, and upon completion of the internship.
QUALIFICATIONS: General knowledge of libraries, basic computer and research skills; ability to work well with all ages, especially children; promptness; friendliness, adaptable to new or busy situations; able to take direction and have initiative, knowledge of alphabetizing, attention to detail. Preferred qualifications: interest in social media, website creation, educational technology, and maker spaces. Bilingual language skills, ability to use a typewriter, and knowledge of Google docs and Google calendar are a plus.
SCOPE OF WORK:
- Participate as a member of the library staff team
- Provide general customer service in the library
- Provide circulation services, such as checking in and checking out patrons and shelving materials
- Work with money in terms of faxes, fines, and copies
- Assist at children and teen events
- Provide computer assistance for customers
Assist with special projects as listed below:
- Assist with summer reading events and activities.
- Use social media to promote the Wilson Public Library, explore social media not currently being used by the library, and help craft a social media plan for the library.
- Examine technology available at library for viability of portable Maker Spaces and research potential technology.
Thanks to:The 2017 Nebraska Library Internship Grant Program is supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the Nebraska Library Commission. The internship grants increase awareness about the library profession and the opportunities for employment in Nebraska libraries.